Sirap Bandung Cupcakes (Recipe)

Friday, April 24, 2020 lemonluna 1 Comments


Sirap bandung. How do I say that in English? Rose milk? Rose syrup? Somebody help. Hahaha. It's basically a popular Malaysian drink made up of rose syrup and milk. It's pink, too. It's really common to see this drink on the menu of the local restaurants here. I had to google up how this drink originated and apparently, this drink is an adaptation of the rose milk served in India. Okay, new knowledge! There's even bandung-flavored soy milk sold in the supermarkets. Now that Ramadhan is approaching, I'm pretty sure it's easier for you to find it on the shelves of the supermarkets near you. 

Anyway... this recipe was made out of curiosity. I knew it was possible to create another new recipe from the good old vanilla cupcake recipe, but I wasn't sure if sirap bandung would work. So I tried. Since the vanilla cupcake recipe required milk as one of the ingredients, I tried substituting it with rose milk instead. It worked and I never felt so good! Here's how you can make these lovely sirap bandung cupcakes.

Cupcakes
Ingredients:
3 eggs
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup plain yogurt (or sour cream, either one)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/4 sirap bandung (rose syrup, condensed milk, water)
If batter is not pink enough, add in a drop of red food coloring. Not too much!

Directions:
1. Preheat your oven. Go.
2. In your mixing bowl, beat sugar, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla extract until the eggs and oil are well incorporated. Keep mixing until the batter gets lighter in colour.
3. Mix in the yogurt and beat until well combined.
4. Add half the flour into the bowl together with baking powder. Beat on low speed while pouring half of the sirap bandung until the mixture starts to incorporate.
5. Add the remaining flour and continue mixing while pouring the remaining milk. Beat until all of the ingredients are well combined.
6. Divide your batter evenly into your cups. Be sure not to overfill them. Stop trying to taste the batter with your finger too 😛
7. Bake for 17-20 minutes at 160 degrees C. Once done, let them cool completely.

I once participated in a cupcake decorating competition with my friends and won third place. One of the judges told us that the reason why my team didn't make it as the champion was because our cupcakes weren't frosted properly (refer photo above). The right way to frost your cupcakes is to make sure that your cupcakes are fully covered with your frosting. 


However, as you can see, whatever he said didn't change my way of frosting my cupcakes. I like my cupcakes the way I like them to be. I'm not doing it professionally, so I don't need rules. #rebel 🙊 And yes, those are mint leaves.

Yup. You figured. It's buttercream frosting! Nothing different, except for the fact that I added a drop of rose extract into it. If you don't have it, you can totally proceed with the regular buttercream frosting. 

Buttercream Frosting
Ingredients:
 125g butter
250g powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon rose extract (optional)
Directions:
 Beat butter. Add powdered sugar gradually and mix until fluffy. Add rose extract into mixture and mix until well combined. If you want it colored, drop your desired food coloring into it.
Okay, that is one lengthy post. If you made it up to this point, you're the best! 
Ramadhan Kareem to everyone ðŸ’—
p/s: leave a comment and tell me what you're planning to bake, i'd love to get to know my readers hehe

1 comment:

  1. its obvious some patients with Herpes Virus are being enslaved to the antiviral and other supplementary Orthodox medicine just to help suppress the virus and not a cure. I have been with the virus since 2015 until I was introduced by a blogger who also narrated her story online on how she was cured of HPV after using Dr ALUDA Herbal Medicine. This is a year and 2 weeks since I was delivered from Herpes VIRUS. All thanks to God for using this Great herbalist to heal me. I have promised to keep telling good things about Dr ALUDA. Please feel free to share Your problems with him and don’t forget to tell him I did refer you to Him. Thanks. email him  Draludaharbalhome@gmail.com He deals with Alzheimer virus, Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Genital, warts,Multiple Fibroids, ALS, HBV, UTI, Virginal infection, Genital, Wart, HPV, Hepatitis A/B, Good luck, HSV,  Cold Sores, Diabetes 1 & 2, Pregnancy, Ex back.

    ReplyDelete